Monday, June 15, 2009

There But For The Grace of God Goes Sandy Adams Jr...

John Bradford was a leading English, Protestant reformer during the reign of Catholic Queen Mary Tudor in the sixteenth century. Bradford was executed for his Protestant convictions and reforms, but is best known for saying, "There but for the grace of God goes John Bradford." Bradford uttered this enduring statement in prison after witnessing the hanging of another inmate. However, he would experience the same fate due to his Protestant beliefs and efforts to reform Christianity in England.

For five centuries, Bradford's statement has been quoted by English speaking peoples with one alteration, the replacement of his name with the first person personal pronoun "I." Usually, those who quote the statment have witnessed someone who has fallen upon hard times or made a life altering mistake. It has served as a reminder that all of us are susceptible to life's pitfalls and none of us are above making tragic choices that could lead to our demise.

I have reflected a lot upon John Bradford's statement, and Proverbs 16:18, "Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall," after learning that a former pastor and boss of mine finally plead guilty to several federal crimes, which included tax evasion and fraud, a couple of weeks ago. Almost seven years ago it was revealed to the congregation at Montrose Baptist Church in Rockville, MD, where I was an Associate Pastor, that our pastor had channeled funds from our Christian school through a "dummy" organization to help him purchase property which would become a Christian retreat center in Hagerstown, MD. The legal process was long and drawn out, and the scandal adversely affected the church of about 1,100, eroding it to about 250 today.

When I heard that the six-year federal investigation had finally ended and that my former pastor/boss plead guilty and would be facing prison time, I had several reactions: sadness, relief, sickness, pity, self-righteousness. I thought about a man with tremendous talents who allowed his personal ambitions and quest to build a "great church" cloud his judgement and respect for the law. For just a moment, I thought about how "good" I was and would never do something like this, but then I was convicted. The Holy Spirit brought to mind Proverbs 16:18 and John Bradford's famous statement. I started to understand that I had no right to cast judgement or invoke moral superiority over my former pastor/boss. The same temptations and tendacies to sin are every bit as evident in my heart and mind as his.

Being a pastor today is very challenging. No longer are we just called to "preach the word" and care for the spiritual and emotional health of our congregations, but we are expected to be experts in church growth and ministry development. The modern church's success is primarily measured on how large the congregation and budget is and how innovative or "cutting edge" we are. As a pastor who has received his vocational training in a Christian college and three seminaries, in the past twenty years, I have been exposed to the latest trends in church ministry. As a young man, these methods are so alluring because they are presented as if followed, then I too will have a "big" church, which must mean that I am doing something "great" for God.

When I think about my former pastor/boss, it is easy for me to pity him and be prideful. However, the truth is, I am every bit as capable of justifying my actions and believing that I am above reproach and accountability. I may not be breaking the law and may even have the best intentions in my ministry ambitions, but pride and arrogance will always be looming and I will often listen to their alluring call.

For the most part, there was nothing wrong with my former pastor's ministry ideas. However, they were implemented without respect for the church and the law. His ambitions were all that mattered to him and his arrogance deceived him into thinking that he was above accountability. However, those same dangers are lurking at the door of every pastor. While I am disappointed and saddened by the demise of a pastor, the lesson for me is that it is only by God's grace that I am not there myself. "There but for the grace of God goes Sandy Adams, Jr.," and oh by the way, you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment